I don’t often eat meat, nor am I a huge fan of preparing it. With that being said, when I do eat meat, I go all out. Tartare, veal, meat lovers pizza… or a 3 meat slow cooker bolognese.
I woke up with a craving for bolognese and set out to the grocery store to buy ingredients for a more traditional recipe. After strolling through the meat aisle I found a deal I couldn’t resist, ground pork, beef and veal… done.
I looked up tons of bolognese recipes and picked my favourite bits of each to create the dish below!
3 Meat Bolognese
- Ground pork, beef and veal
- Beef broth
- White onion
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Olive oil
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add in finely chopped onion
- Add in ground meats and stir constantly, breaking down the meat until it is finely ground and crumbled
- Season with salt and pepper
- Reduce to simmer when cooked through and add in beef broth and chopped basil
- Add in tomato paste when beef broth has reduced
- Transfer to slow cooker and add tomato sauce to create mixture (I prefer a more meat to sauce ratio)
- Cook on low for 2-4 hours
- Add in grated Parmesan during last 15 minutes of cooking